Do you remember the scene from “Lost in Translation” where Scarelett Johansson and Bill Murray go do Karaoke? They are in a small room with leather couch and singing songs as watching TV screen that displays lyrics.
Photograph: Focus/Everett/Rex Features
In a dark small room with disco lights and booming sound systems, karaoke is definitely some kind of cultural experience. If you want to do Karaoke while you are in Tokyo, this is how.
- At reception of Karaoke house, tell them how many people are there in your group. A receptionist will find the appropriate room for your group
- Once room is confirmed, a receptionist will tell you the room number
- Price is charged by 30 minutes per person. You can request for one hour first and extend it later if you like. BTW you pay for the room and drinks later when you leave Karaoke house
- Take an elevator and go to your room
- There is a food and drink menu on a table
- Pick up the phone on the wall by the door. It automatically dials the bar. Order whatever you like and a waiter/waitress will bring them to your room. If you want a tambourine, you can also request them over the phone
- There is a touch panel gadget. Select “English” and pick your favorite tunes
- Sing your heart out!
- Just about one hour later, a phone will ring, so pick it up. A receptionist will tell you that reservation hour is almost over. If you like to extend it, you can add extra 30 minutes
- After enjoying Karaoke, you go back to reception and pay for the room and food/drinks
Japanese weird technology that you can find in Karaoke
- At the end of a song, TV screen shows how much calories you used to complete the song. How neat! Don’t miss it!
- You can tune the music so it is easier for you to sing.
Where to find Karaoke House
Karaoke is everywhere in Tokyo. Here is one of many Karaoke houses in Roppongi and Shibuya area.
Roppongi – Shidax
Price of 30 minutes of karaoke room per person after 6 pm
- Monday to Thursday: 400 JPY
- Weekends and a day before holiday: 500 JPY
Address: 5-2-4 Roppongi, Minato-ku
Shibuya – Karaoke Kan
Price of 30 minutes of karaoke room per person after 7 pm
- Monday to Thursday: 390 JPY
- Weekends and a day before holiday: 480 JPY
Address: 30-8 Udagawa-cho, Shibuya-ku
If you have any question on Karaoke or want suggestion on where to go, please leave a comment. I will get back to you shortly!